Parent ConnectionCollaborate With Other Parents to Help Improve Your Children's Lives
A group of parents, caregivers and others in the parenting role working together to advocate for our children, build leadership skills, increase awareness of community resources and empower young children and families in our community.
Who we are
Gogebic-Ontonagon Great Start Collaborative GOGSC is a partnership of parents, community leaders, and other concerned citizens who work together to ensure that every child in Gogebic and Ontonagon Counties reaches his or her potential and enters Kindergarten safe, healthy, prepared for learning, and eager to succeed in school and in life.
Where We Are
We are located in Gogebic and Ontonagon Counties. GOGSC holds meetings bi-monthly in Bergland, MI at Gogebic-Ontonagon Intermediate School District. If you are interested in attending you can call us at 906-575-3438 ext. 103 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Great Start Parent Coalition holds parent networking nights, organized playgroups, symposiums, and trainings frequently throughout both counties.
Why we do what we do
- To support families and their young children in achieving the best possible start in life.
- To provide access to resources and services, including high-quality early childhood education, health and wellness initiatives, and parent education and support programs.
- To ensure that every child has an equal opportunity for success and that every family has the tools and resources they need to help their child reach their full potential.
- To promote healthy child development and support families.
- To create strong, vibrant communities where children are valued and everyone has the opportunity to thrive.
- To build a better future for everyone by providing families with the resources and support they need to help their children succeed.
- for parents, children and our whole community.
How we do it
- Offers a range of programs, including high-quality early childhood education, health and wellness initiatives, and parent education and support programs.
- Works with community partners to provide families with access to resources and services.
- Provides training and support for parents and educators to help them better understand and support child development.
- Offers workshops and classes for families on topics such as nutrition, health, and education.
- Provides resources and materials for families, including resource downloads and information about childhood development.
- Offers opportunities for families to get involved and participate in the program, such as through the Parent Collaboration program.
What we do
- Meet monthly and work on parenting skills and leadership.
- Share with other parents about what we do and learn, and what
community resources are available.
- Participate in Early Childhood committees throughout the community.
The Great Start Collaborative
Purpose: The goal of the Great Start Collaborative Program is to ensure that every child has an equal opportunity for success and that every family has the tools and resources they need to help their child reach their full potential. Through its various programs and initiatives, the Great Start Collaborative Program works to promote healthy child development, support families, and create strong, vibrant communities..
Vision: To create a world where every child has the best possible start in life and where families have the resources and support they need to help their children succeed. The program strives to ensure that every child has an equal opportunity for success by providing access to high-quality early childhood education, health and wellness initiatives, and parent education and support programs. By promoting healthy child development, supporting families, and creating strong, vibrant communities, the program is working towards a future where children are valued and everyone has the opportunity to thrive.
Mission: Our mission is to provide a Great Start for all children from prenatal through age eight through collaboration to ensure children are healthy, thriving, and ready to succeed in school and beyond.
Our Parent Collaborative Meetings
Our meetings are great opportunities to connect, work and learn. They are open to every parent, grandparent, foster parent, guardian or caregiver of children, from prenatal to 8 to years old.
An important part of the Parent Collaborative is in its name. When parents connect with other parents and share victories and struggles, they understand they are not alone in this journey! This is a great opportunity for parents to get to know each other and have meaningful conversations over an easy environment.
The second part of our meetings is work! Parents share what is going on in the different early childhood committees in which they participate. Our community values parents’ voices and committees are eager to hear parents’ feedback on the different early childhood initiatives that are taking place in Gogebic and Ontonagon County Area.
Parenting is a continuous learning process! As parents, we are always adapting because as our children grow, we need to learn how to parent a child who is unique and always changing at the same time. Our meetings explore different topics important to parents.